Fear - Part II

As I had been living in a little world of anxiety the last 2 weeks, I took the opportunity to explore all of my anxieties around IMAZ. The ones that lie just beneath the surface that are destined to come out for a visit later in training. I am a believer of giving ourselves the space to go there. To feel the anxiety - not dwell on it but feel it for a few days, live it, find solutions and move forward.

Swim

My anxiety with the swim is panic at the start of the "washing machine" everyone speaks of regarding IMAZ. I have a history of panic attacks in the water since I learned to swim in 2007. In the last few years they have only happened with the surf, not in flat open water. I am comfortable in the open water.
During my last pool swim I let myself feel that in my gut and visualized the washing machine. I visualize the scary part- whatever that may be? Being pulled in different directions, people swimming over me, most of all- the worst- having a full blown panic attack. Its a scary visual because it could cost me the race and I DNF.

Problem solving: I have had enough panic attacks in the swim to know they only last 10-15 minutes. If I swam IMAZ today and panicked I would still finish the swim in time. I know that. I also know that there are a lot of people who are supporting me in this journey and I cannot let them down.  That is exactly what snapped me out of the panic attack I experienced  at the swim start of my very first half Ironman in 2012.

I need to ask around and find out exactly what IS the washing machine? Maybe try to simulate it at Bonita Cove. I'm sure I can get a few other triathletes to help me out and aggressively dunk me under water. I actually enjoy swimming with everyone around me. At Oceanside every year I swim close to the buoys and love the intensity of the group. 

Finally, if I am in doubt of my swim, swim more- get stronger. It's that simple.

Bike

I am not afraid of the bike racing just the traffic while training. 
Perhaps if anything, I am afraid of not finishing fast enough for the run.

Problem solving: I'm going to refrain from riding during afternoon traffic/rush hour. There is no benefit in training by doing this. I don't need to toughen up from this. I can ride in the morning. I feel fine in the mornings. I had a lovely hilly ride today riding solo. I will ride with more groups.  For a while I will give myself permission to stop and regroup if it gets stressful. And if I cannot find a resolution there is always the trainer. Maybe I will carry an air horn and silly string for when cars get to close! 

As for finishing fast enough- um...train harder. Duh!

Run

With the run I fear that I will get in my own way- boredom and  discouragement leading me to self sabotage and perhaps giving up. I have done this at past marathons and even 70.3's. If I am not having a good time, I will find every excuse to stop, walk and feel sorry for myself. While I have never given up and DNF'd per se, my heart and soul had given up and I would cross the finish line in tears feeling like a failure knowing I did not give it my 100%. 

My biggest fear is problems with THE knee. Something may happen that precludes me from finishing.

Problem Solving: Here is the reality with this training. My run training now is NOTHING like it ever was. I am much stronger mentally and physically. I know it will be very, very, very hard after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles; but I also know that I CAN do it. I do need to practice some miserable runs to see what happens if I stay in my demon zone too long and then fix it. I have yet to have a truly miserable run. I visit the demon zone at times but it has always been fleeing this season. 

My knee- well, I have no control over that on race day. I am doing everything I can in training to protect yet strengthen the knee. So far, so good. Flare ups once a month but nothing sticks fortunately. Once I run on race day I expect a lot of pain and I expect to run through it. I pray the pain will only come after I finish though. I also know that I may be free of pain too. I will pack ice, a knee brace and NSAIDS in my special needs bag just in case. I will work on a list of questions to carry with me and clarify what constitutes pain I cannot race with and what I can. I hope to have some questions to ask myself if I get to that point to clarify. I know that if the swim, bike and transitions are well executed, I have a lot of time to walk the run and finish.

Ultimately, I prepare for the worst, expect the best and trust in my training and the universe. It's really that simple.

As for the bike anxiety. I am SO bored with it and ready to move on.

Moving forward....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foot, Tears and Foot Races

The Taper Lurks Eerily Around The Corner

Ironman Arizona... the Sequel -Race Report