Fear - Part I


It's been a tough two weeks mentally. As I wrote in my previous post I was swiped by a SUV on the bike on the way home from work in rush hour. 2 days later a local cyclist was killed by a car on a road I ride, a road that is very safe for cyclists.  That changed my entire sense of reality. While I have come close to crashing thanks to careless drivers far too many times, I had yet to actually made contact with them. This hits too close to home. I was afraid. I did not know how to resolve this. It is not an irrational fear. It is a reality. I always held onto a bit of denial but that denial was swept away when I heard about the cyclist.


A week later,  I went back out on the road with really supportive cyclists who made it possible for me to ride and feel comfortable. We even rode near the site where I was swiped which was healing. I am so grateful. I finished that ride on my own heading home. Riding alone though is a challenge. I rode home that day and was fine but it was stressful when more cars came along. They get too close to my bike lane line and I pray they won't veer into my lane. Behind me I hear more action than I'd like from the cars and I fear something is going wrong and they will crash into me. All it takes is a second and my children are mother-less.  


I tried riding the coast on my own the other day.  It went well until I was riding in rush hour. Too many cars. People cutting me off.  I stopped at Starbucks. I felt like I was bonking. I was angry at the cars and freaking out. My stomach was in knots and I was tearful. Ok I need to reset. I still have 2 hours of riding left. I get a text from James that he was called into work. That means I need to get home and take Liam to soccer. I am relieved. I am DONE with this ride today! I meet James half way holding my breath as I coast through a major sketchy intersection. I'm relieved yet disappointed in myself for not completing that day's ride.


Something needs to change.


I have some days off from riding.


I have time for some self exploration and problem solving.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foot, Tears and Foot Races

The Taper Lurks Eerily Around The Corner

Ironman Arizona... the Sequel -Race Report